Looking after your kids
You can help your family and children by focusing on key areas of wellbeing.
- Connecting with family: try switching off the TV and talk, do a craft, read a book or play a game with the family.
- Be physically active: physical activity is important for general wellbeing and is great at boosting our mood, as well as for preventing disease. Read some of our tips or watch our physical activity videos you can follow along at home.
- Spending time in nature, or ‘green space’, is a great way to reduce stress levels in your family.
- Eating well is important as it:
- provides essential nutrients and energy to get through the day
- keeps your immune system strong for fighting infections
- helps promote better sleep
- improves concentration
- can reduce stress and helps to maintain mental health and wellbeing
- Maintaining a routine as much as possible helps children feel secure, and ensuring a good sleep routine is an important part of this. Sleeping well makes us feel better, more alert, energetic, and better able to concentrate and perform our daily tasks. Getting enough sleep each day is one of the most important things we can do for our health and wellbeing.
- Learn new skills: for children, keeping them engaged in a range of interesting activities that extend their development is critical to wellbeing. There is a range of activities for children including arts and crafts, ways to extend scientific thinking, and also fun activities to pass the time. Watch our Kids in the Kitchen videos.
- Mindfulness: paying attention to the present moment can improve mental wellbeing.
- Shared reading experiences with your children encourages greater opportunities for bonding and connection. Visit your local library for children’s fiction and non-fiction print books, eBooks and audiobooks.