Strength, mobility and movement for older Australians
How much physical activity should I do?
Older Australians should be physically active on most, preferably all, days every week.
You should aim for:
- at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day in as many ways as possible
- do a range of activities that incorporate fitness, strength, balance and flexibility.
What is moderate physical activity?
Moderate physical activity includes things like:
- a brisk walk
- household tasks such as raking leaves or cleaning windows
Staying active videos
Wellbeing SA, supported by The City of Unley - Daily Moves and COTA SA, have developed some videos that focus on:
- How to use outdoor exercise equipment for older adults
- Strength for Life activities for people over 50 years and over 40 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.
The Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing also shares activities for older people that can be done while at home.
What about screen time and sitting?
We know for good health and wellbeing, it is important to be mindful of how much time we spend sitting or engaged with screens.
For older Australians, try to break up long periods of sitting throughout the day — try setting a reminder for the last 5 minutes of every hour and move around the house.